Scientific Wizard Agency

Composed by Yuki Neco

Chapter 5: Lumina E-Mailed

By Dr. Matthews’ suggestion, L&S Detecive Agency had a temporary office at Freedstone University. Since the client Lumina Allison and the new supporter Dr. Matthews were related to the university, he suggested the detective agency should have its base in Freedstone University. He told Sakura and Li that they can use his seminar room as the temporary office.

The seminar room was rearranged into the temporary office during the weekend when there were few ordinary staffs and students. Dr. Matthews had told his assitstants in advance that the seminar room would be temporarily used for the joint research with Green Hills University.

Thanks to a subsidiary company of Taylor’s Toys Company—managed by Madison Taylor’s home—the rearrangement progressed so quickly, that the place had turned into the temporary office by the morning of Sunday. Right after the noon of the same day, L&S Detective Agency held the first meeting at the new office. The attendees were Sakura Avalon, Li Showron, Lumina Allison, Ken Matthews, and Madison Taylor. The main topics of the meeting were the SD memory card and the paranormal studies club.



Lumina reported the contents stored in the SD memory card she and the student detectives had found three days ago. She said that the memory card contains some experimantal data and some messages.
“What kind of experimantal data is stored in the card?” Dr. Matthews asked.
“Well, I guess it represents the trajectories of particles at annihilation process. I don’t know where, but the experiment should have been conducted some special facilities, like particle collider,” she replied.
“Do you think the culprit is wanting that data stored in it?” Li asked.
Lumina shook her head with a frown, and showed the attendees a graph by an LCD projector.
“Look, this is an example of data stored in the memory card. I don’t think this data is so special that the culprit is eager to get against the risk. What do you think about it, Dr. Matthews?”
“Hmm, I think Ms. Allison’s right. That looks like particles’ trajectory seen in the particle collision process. I don’t find anything special in that data,” Ken answered.
Madison Taylor raised her hand and said, “Well, I don’t quite understand anything technical, but is it possible that the data is just intermediate, and there’s another key is hidden in the memory card which will lead to the final information?”
“Wow, you’re smart, Madison,” Sakura clapped her hands.
Lumina nodded and smiled keeping her mouth closed, when she flipped a cursor key on the computer to advance the page of the projected screen. The new page shown was a massage which includes an array of digits:

Fill out the blanks to complete the number created by God.
In flilling the blank, your personal computer must be
connected to the internet.
2 9 9 7 9 _ _ _ _

“I found this page in the SD memory card,” Lumina explained. “As Madison’s presumption, this must be the password dialog to the next information.”
“Hey, is that some sort of sequence, like Fibonacci series?” Li asked.
“Created by God... Could it be related to natural phenomena, or what?” Sakura mumbled with her face down in a puzzled look.
“Number created by God... sounds like a constant number in physics,” Ken continued.
“Yes, Sakura and Dr. Matthews,” Lumina giggled and walked happily around the meeting desk, “I think the massage gives us two clues. First one is number created by God. That implies a constant number in physics as Sakura and Dr. Matthews presumed.”
“And what’s the second clue?” Li asked.
“Here,” she pinpointed place on the screen with a laser pointer. “Complete the number. Heh heh heh... this may imply that the constant is a rigid number not an approximated one written in nine digits. There’s only one that fulfill such conditions... that must be... the speed of light!”
Dr. Matthews opened his eyes wide, nodding his head with a heavy breath.
Not understanding what that meant, Sakura and Madison were impressed by Lumina’s punch of speech.
“So I want to show you what will happen when I complete the number. Uh, can I connect this computer to the internet?” Lumina asked.
“Okay, there is a cable,” Ken pointed the LAN cable at the foot of the desk.
Li picked it up and handed it to Lumina, with which she plugged in the socket. She entered the number to fill out the blanks smoothly. The completed number is 299792458. When she clicked on the Enter button, another page was displayed, which read:

Good job, Lumina.
I hope this password was resolved not by other person.
Well, please wait for my next message.

“Mutilayered password blocks,” Madison Taylor uttered with starry eyes, clasping her hands at the chest.
“What for?” Li asked.
“The next message will be sent to Lumina’s e-mail addy or phone call or you-name-it. Even if the SD memory card should be stolen and the password was resolved, the next message will not be sent to the evil. What a smart way to do it!” Madison sang the praise of the multilayered password block she just named.



The second topic was the paranormal studies club. L&S Detective Agency had found something suspicious about the club. First, Sakura reported the findings she made when she and Lumina visited the club. In her report, the club was started by Ted FitzGerald but sometimes Margaret O’Reilly visited. Ted is so crazy about the paranormal things that he went visit some paranormal studies lab in the outskirts of town from time to time. In contrast, Margaret has little interest in those dubious things, then why does she have to visit the club?

There’s one more thing that Sakura found in the club. The club possessed some measuring instruments. As was heard from her big brother Tori, Sakura knew that such instrument was too expensive for a small student-managed club to buy. How could they possess such expensive instruments?

Next, Li reported his investigation. Margaret O’Reilly attended not only Ted’s club but other clubs. Those clubs she attended had something in common. Those club were led by the boys Margaret called boyfriends.
“I knew it! She has two or more boyfriends!” Lumina said aloud disgustedly.
“What kind of girl is Margaret O’Reilly?” Ken asked.
“Simply, Lumina’s rival,” Li plainly replied.
“I know that. I’m wondering what she’s up to?” Sakura said half annoyed.
“Well, Margaret’s father is the CEO of a computer software company,” Madison gave the information to the members. “She likes to show off, and drives a red sports car.”
Li continued, “According to the information I got these days, she invested some money on those clubs owned by her boyfrieds.”
“How much money does she invest each club a month?” Lumina asked.
“About 500 bucks a month,” Li answered.
“Not enough money to buy those instruments even with two- or three-year worth savings of money,” Sakura interrupted.
“About where the instruments came from, the club might have someone else behind that supplies those instruments,” Li frowned. He thought silently with his arms crossed, until he explaimed:
“We need more information! That’s right. Lumina has the opponent named Margaret. Does Dr. Allison has an opponent like his daughter does?”
Ken Matthews raised his hand before saying. “Dr. Kyle Emerson. He’s a professor at this university, majoring in cosmology, the same as Dr. Allison. They start a big dispute every time they attend the same symposium.”
Li smirked, “I bet he has an enemy or two at least. He’s where Lumina inherits from, so it’s not a tough thing to find his enemy.”
“Hey, what’s that supposed to mean?” Lumina stood up and protested, but at a glance of Ken she turned silent with a blush sitting down with her hands on the knees.
“Uh, anyway, we have to investigate the paranormal studies laboratory in the outskirts of town and Dr. Emerson at this university.”



After the meeting, Lumina was working with the computer at the back of the temporary office. She looked busy with checking the data in the SD memory card, calculated with equations on papaer, and then typed sentences including equations.
“What’s she doing?” Li asked Sakura.
“Beats me. Since she received the SD memory card, she has been working like that,” Sakura replied in a puzzled look.
“Did you see her reporting in this morning’s meeting? When talking about physics, she’s awesome; I must admit,” Li sighed.
“A girl who has a gift for science is superb,” Sakura said.
“She is acting like a freak in other time, though. With her looks, she could be busy with boys that ask her for a date as long as she keeps quiet,” Li chaffed about her.
Sakura blinked her eyes without a word, thinking it unusual for him to talk of another person that way.



Li got a kind of shock that he couldn’t find the paranormal studies lab in the outskirts of town in the Google map. It may not be a public lab, but a private lab facilities owned by an enthusiastic scientist. It was Sunday when he couldn’t find anyone in the campus to give him information. Investigation about Dr. Emerson was the same. He gave up and decided to postpone the investigation next day.
“Yes, luckily, there’s Dr. Emerson’s class tomorrow,” he thought. “I guess I’ll attend his class to begin investigation on him.”

On the other hand, Sakura asked Li to come along with her to Vicky Newman. Vicky Newman was a friend of Sakura’s big brother Tori from their high school days. She had been the leader of the drama club and now she was an actress. When Li asked why she wanted to visit Vicky, Sakura replied he would know when he sees her. Sakura and Li went to Vicky’s office leaving Lumina and two of Madison’s bodyguards at their temporary office.



Next morning, it was raining. Li asked Lumina to attend Dr. Emerson’s class together for the investigation. Dr. Emerson’s class was on Elementary Particles for junior students.
“Lumina, do you have some technical knowledge on elementary particles?”
“Yes, but why.”
“When the class is over, we’ll visit Dr. Emerson’s office to ask some questions. Throughout the questions and answers I will collect information related to the matter. According to the timetable, he has only one class on Monday; this class only. So he may have time for chit-chat.”

Lumina and Li sat the backmost seat attending the class. Dr. Emerson is large. How come he and Dad can’t get along well, she wondered.
“Lumina, when the class is over, we’ll follow and catch him just before he enters his office. The first purpose is to enter the office together with him, so we can have a long conversation,” Li whispered to the girl sitting next to him.
“Okay, just before he enters his office. I got it,” Lumina agreed.



After the class was over, Lumina and Li followed Dr. Emerson just as planned. When he was about to take the knob of the enterance of his office, she caught him, saying:
“Excuse me, Dr. Emerson, I’d like to ask you some question on today’s class.”
“Oh, well... some questions? Okay, please come in,” Emerson let Lumina and Li in his office.
Emerson guided the two students to the couch in the middle of the room, and seated them. When he sat down, he said, “Oh, you’re Dr. Allison’s daughter. I hear you’re still sophomore.”
Lumina replied, “Yes, but I’m interested in elementary particles so I attended your class.”
“And this boy, you’re not my class’ student, either?”
“No, I’m a junior student at Green Hills university. I’m studying physics and of couse I attend elementary particles class. To strengthen my understanding, I attended the same subject in another university, excuse me,” Li said.
“Ha ha ha, even in the rain, today is a good day I have such enthusiastic students,” giant Emerson laughed with joy.
Furthermore, answering Lumina’s question, Emerson talked very happily. He was totally impressed that Lumina had sufficient knowledge of his subject even though she was still sophomore. Taking advantage of this mood, Li and Lumina shifted into investigation.

Even in the investigation mode, Emerson talked to them very friendly. To the question whether he is Dr. Allison’s archrival, he answered yes with a smile. In his repsonse, he took Michael Allison as his archrival because he admitted him as a skillful scientist. Because the two scientists studied almost the same subject, sometimes a big dicussion occured from slight differences in their opinions, and sometimes got mad when the other one came out with the research paper a little earlier. But he ensured that he never envied or bore a grudge against Lumina’s father.

The two students got unexpected information as well. It’s about the paranormal studies laboratory in the outskirts of town. That laboratory was owned by Emerson’s son named Dwight Emerson, 35 years old. He had a mansion, which he remodeled as his researching facilities. According to Dr. Emerson Senior’s story, the paranormal studies lab isn’t the true name of his laboratory. His main interest was in applied physics like nuclear fusion power generation, but the paranormal studies were his pastime. When they asked him about the paranormal studies club at the university, Dr. Emerson said that he had never heard of it.

“Allow me to advise you this, Li.” Emerson started.
“What could it be, Dr. Emerson?”
“You know Dr. Allison is worrier about his daughter. Hanging around with Lumina, please don’t make him sick worrying, okay?”
“Oh, What are you talking about, Dr. Emerson? This is not it,” Lumina nervously laughed.
“Hey, you two aren’t loving couple, are you?”
“No, we’re just friends. He has his own precious person other than me,” Lumina giggled.
“Ha ha ha, that must be a very relief to your father,” giant Emerson laughed.



Surprisingly, Margaret O’Reilly visited the temporary office, when Li and Lumina were out. Sakura answered the visitor, “Yes, what do you want?”
The univited visitor was escorted by a boy, not Ted FitzGerald, who held two unbrellas. One was hers and the other was the escort’s—both of which were wet—implying that it was still raining.
“I just came here to say hello,” Margaret replied with a grin. “Some said that a seminar room in the physics deparment was rearranged for some reason.”
“Yes, it is all for us. Dr. Matthews prepared the place for the joint research between Freedstone University and Green Hills University.”
“You better not underrate me,” the provocative girl stepped closer to Sakura straightly looking into her eyes. “Joint research, huh?”
Sakura was overwhelmed by the unexpected visitor, sweatdropping.
“It’s okay for your partner, but you are in the archeology department. I knew it. How can I believe the joint research—Freedstone’s physics department and Green Hills’ archeology department?! Inconsistent! I know you’re investigating Lumina Allison’s case.”
“What if your guess is true?” Sakura asked. “Are you planning to disturb our investigation?”
“Search me. A lot of people might misunderstand me, but I don’t like unfairness,” Margaret chuckled. “Oh, I’m not too kind if I give you this advice.”
“What could it be?”
“Be caureful of Lumina Allison,” Margret whispered. “Is your boyfiend acting different recently? If he is... he is beginning to get bewitched.”
Margaret grinned evilly before going away with her escort. Feeling uneasy sensation like anxiety, Sakura was looking at the back of Margaret O’Reilly who were walking off in the corridor.



Getting back to the temporary office with Lumina, Li reported the investigation to Sakura that they succeeded hearing about the paranormal studies lab in the suburbs. However, even though Dr. Emerson talked them friendly, Li didn’t totally believe him who said he never envied Dr. Allison.
“I can’t tell if he was lying about Dr. Allison in front his daughter,” Li said.
“Yeah, there’re sly grown-ups,” Sakura sadly sighed.
“Next year, you will be able to find out the truth,” Li said to Lumina.
“How?”
“Attend his class, and if you fail the credit he actually hates your Dad,” Li said with a smirk.
“Hey, Li, stop joking like that!” Lumina laughed.
Sakura wondered if he had ever showed me this joking attitude so far. Come to think of it, this looks like... the way Tori used to tease me every morning.



Later on that night, Lumina told Li and Sakura that she wanted to work alone for a day or two. When Li questioned her if the temporary office wouldn’t work for her, she answered that on the weekend it had been okay but on weekdays she could be disturbed by the noise from the research room. In the day time, students and assitants come in and out the research room, and after dark the student continued chit-chat until around 8 in the evening. Of course, such noise was bearable for her in the normal condition, but now when someone could be after her, she is so sensitive that any noise can disturb her.
“I haven’t been back home since last weeked,” Lumina said.
“You better not go back to your apartment, or you could be ambushed,” Li said.
“Hey, why do you want to work all alone, Lumina?” Sakura gently asked.
“I need to hurry,” Lumina replied. “Tonight, I got an e-mail from Dad. According to the message, he’ll come out in a few days. I’ve got something to do before seeing him.”
“What’s something you have to do?” Li asked in a strong attitude.
“Sorry, I can’t tell you now. But trust me,” Lumina begged, clasping her hands like a prayer.
“Just a minute,” Li said.

Li and Sakura talked together at the other side of the office. First, it seemed that Li and Sakura had different opinions; they argued. Li sounded like he wanted Lumina nearby so he can protect her. In Sakura’s opinion, they have to think up of a place for Lumina to work as she wanted, but not her apartment. A few minutes later, Sakura picked up her cell phone and made a call. When she finished talking on the phone, Sakura talked to her partner.
“See, Li? There are always choices.”
“All right, Sakura,” Li calmly nodded his head, as he walked to Lumina.
“Okay, Lumina, we’re sending you to Madison Taylor’s residence. You pack everything you need for your work.”

In response to Li’s direction, Lumina tried to copying the data attached to the new e-mail to her memory stick. The copying was a simple job of drag’n’drop; however, a simple job like that could be mistaken in a hurrying situation.
“Shoot, not this one,” Lumina groaned in a frustration. By mistake, she dropped the icon of the file in the SD memory card folder. She took out the memory card out of the slot and put it in the drawer of the desk, before retrying to copy the data file into her memory stick.
“Okay, now I got all the data I need in my laptop and this memory stick for a backup.”

Close window