DESTINY

CHAPTER 9

by SAKURA AKA MICHELLE

Sakura sat on the edge of the bed, watching with amusement at Syaoran, who was pacing around in his room with a frown on his face and his arms folded in concentration. Sakura knew what was going on exactly in his mind but kept mum as she enjoyed the view of a worried Syaoran, who was trying to ask her a question but the words just would not come out from his mouth.

He suddenly stopped in his tracks to stare at Sakura, who just smiled sweetly in return, and then walked up to her, causing her to crane her neck to look up at him. The worry was clearly on his face when he looked at her and she was truly touched by his concern.

“Did...” he started but then blushed furiously as he ran his hands in his messy hair. He sighed and broke away the eye contact and started his pacing again, earning giggles from Sakura. He scowled and turned to glare at her. “What’s so funny?”

Sakura stopped, turning sheepish out of a sudden, and looked down at the folded hands on her lap. “They didn’t try to do anything that you are thinking,” Sakura replied, hiding her smile and her blush.

Syaoran heaved a sigh of relief and realized that he had unconsciously held his breath when Sakura was talking. He was kneeling in front of her when she looked up and he asked again, “Are you sure? The guards didn’t do anything to you at all?”

“I’m fine, Syaoran,” Sakura replied with a smile as she reached out to touch Syaoran’s cheek, noticing the signs of fatigue on his face. “You didn’t sleep well,” she stated as she caressed his cheek and stopped when his hand covered hers.

“How can I sleep knowing that you are missing and might be facing danger?” Syaoran said and crushed her into his embrace such that she was also kneeling on the floor with him. “Don’t you ever leave me like that ever again, Sakura. I might not be able to take it the next time round; I might go crazy!”

Sakura returned his hug and leaned closer into his embrace and shyly nodded her head. Slightly comforted by her response, Syaoran lifted Sakura onto the bed again and stared at her, making her feel a little uncomfortable. Unable to meet his eyes, she asked softly, “Is there anything on my face? I know that I haven’t had a bath for ages...”

Syaoran chuckled, “Even if you are covered with dirt, I’ll still think that you are the most gorgeous lady that I have ever had to luck to lay my eyes on. I would even kiss and worship the very floor you step on.”

“Sweet talker,” Sakura retorted and a pink blush tainted her cheeks and she tried to hide it but failed miserably.

Pressing a quick kiss to her cheek, Syaoran straightened up and told her, “If you like, I will fetch some maids to bring a bath in for you. How about that?”

Not trusting her voice to answer his question, Sakura just nodded her head and refused to look at Syaoran. The latter just laughed and left the room to fulfill his new task.


Sakura was soaking in a tub of warm water filled with rose petals within half an hour’s time. Leaning against the tub, she closed her eyes and let out a contented sigh. Her eyes had hurt a lot after having wearing the black lens for such a long time and it felt so good to take them off for a while while she bathed in peace, without any interruptions. She still felt bad for using Syaoran’s room and barring his entry while she enjoyed her luxurious bath.

She rolled the black lens between her fingers and stared at them as she began to think of her family. She really wished that both her parents as well as her brother were back in the castle safely but there was no way that she could have known anything about the Kinomoto kingdom because she has no access to whatever communications within the Li kingdom. Syaoran would surely suspect something if she started asking about the Kinomoto castle.

Sakura sighed as she put the lens on the small cupboard by the side of the wooden bathtub. She hasn’t been out of the Li kingdom ever since she stepped in. She has no chance to be out of the castle unless with the permission of Syaoran or the queen. If only any of her relatives drop by the Li Castle for a visit or something. At least she would be able to catch them secretly and let them know that she, the princess of Kinomoto kingdom, was doing well and ready to go back to the castle.

Leaning back against the tub again, she closed her eyes to rest and tried to push all the thoughts to the back of her mind for the moment.


Syaoran went to look for his mother to inform her that Sakura was found and that there was no need for her to be worried about her anymore. He found her in the throne room but she was not alone; there was a footman dressed in something that was not familiar to him or his kingdom. He immediately noticed the unusually brilliant smile on his mother’s face as she read a letter in her hands.

Then, she looked up and noticed that Syaoran was in the throne room as well. He bowed low to his mother in greeting, which she returned with a gentle smile. Yelan ordered a maid to show the foreign footman to a guestroom where he would wait for her written reply, which was to be brought back to his kingdom without delay.

Now, mother and son were alone in the throne room.

“We have a good news with us,” Yelan announced and she leaned forward to wait for Syaoran’s response. The latter noticed something was coming up and nodded for her to continue her announcement. “The Kinomoto kingdom is back in order. King Kinomoto has finally be able to clear up the mess and also, his missing daughter has been found.”

“Princess Kinomoto?” Syaoran asked, totally surprised. “They managed to find her?”

“Don’t you want her to be found?” Yelan asked curiously and frowned at his lack of enthusiasm. “She is still engaged to you, if you have not forgotten. Now that Princess Kinomoto is back, we will pay a visit to her as quickly as possible and remind her of the engagement that Queen Kinomoto Nadeshiko has made with me.”

“What?” Syaoran exclaimed. “So fast? Mother, I have just found Sakura and she needs some attention right now. If I were to go to Kinomoto castle, Sakura would be left alone and defenseless against Meiling’s wrath!”

“Bringing a girl along with us while we visit the Kinomotos is out of question,” Yelan cut through Syaoran’s tirade. “Be prepared to stay with the Kinomotos for quite some time to allow both you and your bride-to-be to get to know each other better. No more arguing; it has already been decided.”

“Mother!”

“Meanwhile, you may wish to send Sakura over to Hiiragizawa castle. Tomoyo would be most willing to look after Sakura while you are gone. This way, we can be assured that she will be out of the harm’s way and Meiling cannot lay a finger on her.”

Having no other choice but to accept his mother’s instructions, Syaoran decided to follow her orders first in order to placate her and then try to persuade the princess to break off the engagement with him. Hoping that this idea would work, Syaoran bowed before his mother and took his leave dejectedly.


Syaoran knocked on his door several times and received no response from the beautiful occupant in his room. He sighed and leaned against the wall of the corridor and waited for her to finish her bath.

Why is she taking such a long time? Syaoran thought as he waited outside his room, becoming more impatient as moments passed by. Could it be that something has happened to her? Syaoran began to panic then. He rapped on the door so loudly that he thought he could wake the dead but still, there was no response from Sakura. Turning the doorknob and to his surprise, he found that the door was unlocked. Without hesitation, Syaoran dashed into the room and found Sakura in a steamy wooden tub with her eyes closed.

Thinking that something terrible might have befallen on her, Syaoran rushed to her side, momentarily forgotten that she was naked in the bathtub as he was too worried about her. “Sakura?” He asked worriedly. “Wake up, Sakura.”

Sakura stirred, bringing up her hands to rub her sleepy eyes and murmured something that was inaudible to Syaoran then continued to sleep in the tub. Syaoran sighed, knowing that Sakura was only sleeping and not in any grave danger. He touched her cheek to get her to wake up. Sakura opened her eyes groggily at the contact. Through her blurry vision, she saw the shadow of a stranger in front of her and then she opened her mouth to let out a piercing scream.

“What?” Syaoran was at a loss of what to do. If Sakura would not stop screaming, the guards would be running over in a few seconds. Since his hands were occupied with keeping her flailing arms from attacking him, he only has one option left.

Keeping a firm hold of Sakura’s arms, Syaoran leaned in and their lips met.

To be continued...



Close Window