DESTINY

CHAPTER 7

by SAKURA AKA MICHELLE

“It has already been a week,” Syaoran said gravely. “Where could she be? Are you sure you did not send her to do some errand out of the castle, mother?”

Yelan sighed, “I am as worried as you are son and stop the pacing; it’s making me dizzy. For the hundredth times, I did not send Sakura out of the castle to do something for me. You knew I would never let her out of the castle walls, don’t you?”

Syaoran stopped suddenly and sighed loudly, “It has to be something to do with Meiling. I wonder why she has a grudge with Sakura; she has done nothing wrong to deserve all that treatments.”

“She must be regretting saving her,” Yelan remarked and eyed Syaoran. “It only takes a few seconds to observe the way both Meiling and Sakura look at you and we will know the reason why. I have been observing you and Sakura for quite some time without you knowing.”

Syaoran looked quite shocked at his mother’s announcements and was at a loss for words. “But there is nothing wrong with it, isn’t it? Surely Meiling knows that love cannot be forced? I have been telling her all these since many years ago! How can she not know that? Isn’t it obvious that I love Sakura?” Then he froze. What did I just say? I did not blurt out my feelings for Sakura did I? Oh no...

Smiling, Yelan leaned back against the back of her chair but her smile was immediately replaced by a frown. “It is really a rare thing for you to express your feelings, Syaoran. However, I have to tell you something important, which I have just remembered a few hours ago. This concerns your future, son.”

Sensing the seriousness in his mother’s tone rather than her words, Syaoran felt himself tensing slightly while awaiting for Yelan to continue. When she did not, he prompted, “What is it you wish to tell me, mother?”

“I wish to inform you that you cannot choose neither Meiling nor Sakura as your wife. In another words, you were betrothed at birth to the currently missing Princess of the Kinomoto kingdom,” she replied, looking at Syaoran for his response.

His expressionless expression remained on his face for a few minutes while he digested the newly feed information into his mind, after which a pained expression flicker across his face and vanish totally. Even though it was for just a short period of time, Yelan noticed his change of expression totally. It was saddening to see her son in this state.

“I am sorry Syaoran,” Yelan apologized sadly. “I should have told you when you were younger so that you will not involve yourself into such complicated relationships. This happens because the Kinomoto kingdom and the Li kingdom are at very good terms and Queen Nadeshiko is a personal friend of mine...”

“I... I... I really don’t know what to say...” Syaoran said, without a trace of emotion in his voice but his lost of thoughts was apparent. “Is there any ways to break this betrothal? I really wish to be with Sakura, and only Sakura.”

“I am afraid that is not possible until they find their missing princess,” Yelan replied sadly. “They have news that she’s still alive, somewhere in the world.”

“You are saying that once the princess is found, we then can have a chance to withdraw the betrothal? Is that true, mother? Please don’t give me false hope...”

Yelan shrugged and replied honestly, “That might be a possibility. I am not really sure about that issue.”

“But anyway mother,” Syaoran started to say and brightened up immediately as a thought strike him. “I have my suspicions... The missing princess might actually be--”


Sakura actually succeeded in getting the guard to untie the ropes binding so that she can have the freedom of movement in the dark room. However, the guard told her that she had to tie it back when Meiling came for any surprise visits or the both of them would suffer. Naturally, Sakura would have to agree; what other choices did she have?

“Don’t you have the urge to get out of this place?” The guard asked. “I mean, have you ever thought of it?”

Sakura smiled and sat down on the dirt-covered ground since there are no chairs in the room. “It is impossible not to think of it... But what can I do about it now?” she laughed softly and tears welled up in her eyes.

“Actually,” the guard coughed. “There is a way...”

“How?” Sakura sniffed. “You are not thinking of helping me are you? I object! What if I land you into trouble?”

The guard shook his head, “Not at all! Not when I try to drop some hint to Li-sama...”

“But…” Sakura protested.

“No buts,” The guard interrupted.

To be continued...



Close Window