DESTINY

CHAPTER 6

by SAKURA AKA MICHELLE

Sakura felt utterly alone.

She had never felt so since the last time when the rebels invaded her castle and she had to fled her kingdom alone, with no familiar people around her to guide or direct her where to go. She felt the helplessness she encountered then and she thought that without the rebels in this kingdom, she would not be feeling it again. But she was wrong; now, she felt the same helplessness again.

It was dark and there was no sufficient light for her to see the surroundings around her or even to see herself. The air around her was stuffy and smelled of dust. The smell was so horrible that Sakura wished that she would just die on the spot and be in peace but no, she could not even do that herself. The back of her head when the guards hit her hurt whenever she made a move so she had to stay perfectly still while trying to tug her hands free from her back.

If only the guards were dumb enough to leave my hands alone. I couldn’t do anything with them bound behind my back of all places... Sakura thought and tried in vain to untie the ropes bounding her hands together. She knew her wrists were bruised from all her efforts in trying to get her hands free as it was hurting her. Though the pain was bearable itself but added with the dull ache on her head, she had difficult concentrating on the important things at hand.

At least they did not blindfold me or gag me... Sakura thought, trying to reassure herself with her own words but had little effect.

The door creaked open slowly and Sakura went limp immediately for she was sure the person was either one of the guards to check on her or Meiling, who would wish to gloat over her victory in getting her away from Syaoran without him knowing it. The footsteps came closer to her and she involuntarily stopped her breathing and breaking out in cold sweat.

“Looks like she hasn’t woke up yet, Princess Meiling.” Sakura recognized the voice; it belonged to one of the guards who tried to kidnap her and had succeeded in doing so.

“I was wishing that she would wake up sooner, I can’t wait to tell her how happy Syaoran is to have her gone from his side. She is such a nuisance that no one likes. Why... She is not even one of the royal members, how can she mingle with the higher class? We only took her in because we pity her,” Meiling went on and on about telling the guard why Sakura should not be in the castle.

Sakura could not believe what she had heard from Meiling while pretending to lose consciousness. However, even though Meiling continued chattering, Sakura still had her doubts. Syaoran would never have felt that way about me. He is always so kind towards me. I have never felt a single thread of pity from him... Princess Meiling must be lying!

“Princess Meiling, what do you suggest we do to her?”

Meiling snorted, “Let her sleep if she want to sleep. Just keep her here and do not ever let her out of this room. Wish her a happy time spending her days here until she breathe out the last time.”

“You mean to keep her in here all her life, Princess?”

“Why not?” She retorted almost immediately. “She dared to snatch my precious Prince Syaoran away from me. Why can’t I do the same to her by snatching her freedom away?”

The guard nodded, “You are wise, Princess Meiling. I shall do according to your commands.”

“Yeah, yeah, be sure to lock the door after you. Feed her only water and no food for her for a whole month. I can’t stand being here; no one uses this hearing room for ages and it’s getting a little too dusty,” She complained.

“Should I get someone to clean up the mess in the room?” the guard offered.

Meiling snickered, “No, of course not. Let the commoner who dares to mingle with the higher class suffer in the darkness and filth. Lock the door after me and let no one in.”

“Yes, Princess.”


Syaoran knew that something was amiss when Sakura did not turn up for breakfast, even though she left the garden earlier than he did. He knew that she was the one person who would not miss any single meal with the family and enjoy the simple conversation with his family, especially his mother. His mother and Sakura got along quite well together and it indeed a rare occurrence that the queen smiled and not many people had the fortune to see that. He was one of them but that was not the case for Sakura.

Where can she be at this time? It is already three hours past breakfast and still there is no sign of her anywhere... I hope that nothing is wrong... Syaoran thought and the more he thought, the more worried he got.

Suddenly, a name flashed across his mind whenever something was wrong with Sakura, “Meiling!”


“Why do you always come to me to ask me questions whenever your precious Sakura went missing?” Meiling ranted when Syaoran asked her for Sakura’s whereabouts. “It’s not as if I ate her up or something. Quit coming to me to look for her. If you want to look for her, then do it yourself. I have lots of things to do, please excuse me.”

Syaoran watched as Meiling stomped away angrily and then launched into thinking, “If Meiling’s not involved in this, where can Sakura be?”

Just then, a guard came rushing forward, “Your highness, Queen Li wishes to see you in the second hearing room immediately. It is of utmost importance.”

He frowned and the guard gulped, “Did she say anything about the meeting?”

“No, your highness. I was only to inform you about the meeting, sir.”

“You may take your leave,” Syaoran told the guard as he walked briskly to the hearing room that his mother wished to see him.


A week later.

The dull thud of her head had eased days ago and she was glad about that even though she had no idea if it was already morning or night. However, her dry throat craved for some water and she could hear her stomach rumbling every now and then. Why hasn’t the guard bring water today? The door creaked open and closed softly and to Sakura’s relief, the guard was here with water for her and the glow candlestick illuminated the room, just enough for her to make out his form.

“I was delayed by the kitchen tenders. I’ve got you some food also.”

Sakura pushed herself up into a sitting position with more ease since the guard had bounded her hands in front instead of at the back but she had to promise him that she would not do anything funny. “Thank you! You came just in time!”

“Eat it before it turns cold,” the guard urged with a smile. “I wonder why Princess Meiling wish to have you captive here; you did nothing wrong.”

“I did do something wrong to provoke her but I just can’t help myself with that,” Sakura replied solemnly.

Curious, the guard asked, “What did you do?”

Putting down the food and water, Sakura hugged her knees and replied, tears almost blinding her eyes; “I fell in love with Prince Syaoran…”

To be continued...



Close Window