DESTINY

CHAPTER 4

by SAKURA AKA MICHELLE

Ten years later (Sakura and Syaoran were 16)

It was only six in the morning; Sakura had awakened much earlier than usual. She yawned, stretched herself and sat on the edge of the bed, staring out of her window while she began her threads of thoughts. She had grown used to it; waking before the sun rose up in the clear blue sky and thinking until it was time for breakfast. Everything has changed since the fire incident. Even I am not myself again… Sakura thought sadly and began wishing that her parents and elder brother would be safe and that they would be here to collect her. But... do I really want to go back?

Sakura sigh and dressed herself, not bothering to ring for her personal maid for fear that she might interrupt her sleep. It has been ten years since Sakura was accepted as one the Li in the castle and she was really grateful for all the things the Queen had done for her, even if it meant that she would leave the castle someday. Suddenly, the idea of leaving this castle for good stuck a cord in Sakura’s heart and it took all she had not to cry out. I don’t want to leave!

Slipping onto her slippers, Sakura crept out of her room and into the forbidden Li garden that even the Li princesses were not permitted. It belonged to Prince Li Syaoran and he had kindly granted her the permission to go in and out of the garden anytime. This was not known to anyone else as Sakura had always visited the garden before any of the maids of the royalties woke up.

“Syaoran?” Sakura asked softly after closing the door to the garden. AN: The door is not a see through one. It is made of wood.. or some other opaque materials... “Are you here?” She asked again and started wandering around in search of the prince.

Soft footsteps could be heard behind her and Sakura threw herself into the person’s arms instinctively since she already knew who the person was; the only person who dared to enter this garden was she herself and Syaoran. “Hey,” Syaoran shouted out laughingly. “What brings you here earlier that usual?”

Sakura looked up from his chest and gave him her brightest smile ever. Syaoran could feel himself melting just looking at the way her smile lit up the whole garden and he found himself lost in the black orbs of her eyes. (AN: remember, she was wearing the lenses?) “Nani?”

Syaoran went silent for a moment, deep in thought and then smiled at her sheepishly, “What did I ask you, anyway?”

“Mou, Syaoran,” Sakura chided. “You are forgetful! Didn’t you ask me why I am earlier that usual?”

Chuckling, Syaoran pinched her nose playfully and protested, “You beauty took my breath and my thoughts away. I can see that I am embarrassing you. Why... you are actually blushing red like a tomato!”

Sakura pouted and Syaoran laughed in response, “Aren’t you going to start your training? I love it when you play around with your sword!”

“Play?” Syaoran repeated with an eyebrow arched as he disengaged from Sakura to prepare for his training. “This is hardly playing, Sakura. This is dangerous and you might hurt yourself if you are not careful.”

Sakura nodded absently to his explanations and then she asked innocently, “May I try it?”

Syaoran whirled around in surprise and then gaped at Sakura, “What did you just say?”

“I want to be strong too!” Sakura insisted. “You must teach me martial arts, Syaoran!”

He was silent for long moments and he did steal some glances at Sakura in between intervals, as if he was judging her. She was getting nervous at the silence in the garden, even the animals sensed the tension and remained silent too. “Are you sure?”

Sakura was beginning to have her doubts, “Y-yes.”

“Truly sure?” Syaoran asked again.

She nodded her head, “Yes!”

“I guess I have no choice then. Once you have made up your mind, I doubt anyone will be able to sway you. I can’t outsmart your stubbornness,” Syaoran relented with a sigh.

Frowning, Sakura asked, “Is that a compliment or an insult?”

“You won’t do in that gown,” Syaoran told her, disrupting her train of thoughts. “You’ll need to wear just a simple pants and a shirt.”

“The clothing I have are only gowns. Your mother refuses to let me have men’s clothing,” Sakura said with disappointment clearly in her voice as she looked down on the ground, shifting her weight from one leg to another. “That means I can’t practice martial arts...”

“Sakura,” Syaoran interrupted with a devilish grin on his face. “You can always wear mine but on one condition.”

“What is it? What is it?” Sakura asked eagerly like a young child who was about to receive her present. “Tell me!”

Syaoran pointed to his lips with a smile and Sakura blushed immensely, knowing what he had meant. “I would like to have a small reward for lending you my clothing. Worth it?”

“After the practice,” Sakura insisted, accepting Syaoran’s training wear, the blush still on her face.

Syaoran waited while Sakura went behind a cluster of trees, which was not in Syaoran’s view, to change into the clothes he had handed over to her. To her surprise, she found that Syaoran’s scent clung to her body. It must be his clothings. Oh my... he has worn these before and I am wearing it now! I must stop blushing! Stop blushing! Sakura collected her clothing and ran back to Syaoran, who was lying on the grass with his arms propped behind his head. She was amazed that she could run swiftly without tripping, even though the pants reached beyond her ankles. He chuckled at the way Sakura looked like in an oversized shirt and pants and he earned a frown from Sakura.

“Gomen, gomen,” Syaoran apologized. “You look so kawaii in my clothes.”

“Now that you are done with laughing, can we get on with the practice?” Sakura inquired, trying very hard not to smile. I really look funny! If only I have my own training wear...

And so, the training commenced with Syaoran as the teacher while Sakura his student. He was patient with her, knowing that she was not exposed to these kind of things. He had made sure that she got all the postures right and sometimes, he even had to adjust her posture so that she would not lose her footing. A grin plastered to his face when he noticed the blush on her face every now and then. Sakura tried very hard to concentrate on what he was telling her and found some difficulty remembering the moves. “Take your time, Sakura,” Syaoran assured. “Remember that you are new at this.” “Hai, Syaoran-sensei!”

To be continued...



Close Window