Preface

This is the shortest fic I have ever written... Hope all of you do not mind. Do not expect every chapter to be as long as each part of Wishes Do Come True but I will try to make some chapters longer. This fic is thus named...


DISCLAIMER: Cardcaptor Sakura belongs to CLAMP... but this plot belongs to ME!

DESTINY

PROLOGUE

by SAKURA AKA MICHELLE

“Run now! Princess Sakura!” The knight urged and pushed Sakura out of the castle through the backdoor as the enemies were pouring in through the front one. “Hurry!”

The six year old emerald eyed princess shook her head stubbornly, “What about the rest? Are they coming too?”

The knight looked back over his shoulders anxiously, knowing that their enemies could be there any moment. He knelt down on one knee and patted Sakura’s hair, “Listen now Princess... once you are out there, please hide. Do not look back, understand, dear?”

“Why?” The innocent princess asked.

“Just don’t look back. Take your family treasure with you and let no one know about it and who you are,” he handed her a book and a necklace. “Now go!”

He gave her a nudge to get her to start moving and of course, she complied, running on her unstable legs, with the knight watching her with tearful eyes.

I am sorry princess... This is the best thing we have thought of...


Sakura panted and wondered if she was supposed to stop now that she had ran quite a fair distance. Clutching the book the knight had given her, she made the mistake of looking back at her castle. Her once beautiful and elegant castle was engulfed in flames.

A scream tore from her chest as she stared helplessly at her castle. She started to sob.

Remember daughter dear, when you are out of the protection of the castle walls alone, put these lenses on your eyes to hide your true eye colour. Sakura remembered her father, King Kinomoto Fujitaka telling her. Only the royal blood have either brown or emerald eye...

She searched her pockets of her nightgown for the lenses her father had often reminded her. They were for protection of her identity. She wasted no time after finding them and put them on her eyes, blinking at the irritation the lenses had caused. Putting the book in her pocket, Sakura pushed herself up from the ground and started wandering about, not knowing where to go.

A sudden movement from her right brought her whirling towards it. She was a scant second too late; she felt herself being hit on her head and fainting from the pain the hit had inflicted...


“Syaoran, I hit something!” Meiling shouted excitedly. “Hear that?”

“Shouldn’t we go back now?” The latter groaned as he tried to catch up with the excited Meiling. “My mother is waiting for us at the inn and it is really very late now.”

The two had been trying to catch some birds. Actually, it was Meiling’s idea and Syaoran’s mother, Li Yelan, granted her the permission and ordered Syaoran to go with her. Groomed in the Li clan, Syaoran was not allowed to disobey the Elders and there he was, suffering under Meiling’s childishness.

“Can I take the bird before we go?” Meiling pleaded.

Syaoran sighed, partly from frustration and partly from boredom, “As you wish.”

Meiling did not mean to shriek when she saw the result of her “bird-catching” but it seemed that she was too horrified with what she had done.

A young girl about her own age lay on the ground a few feet in front of her, her right forehead bleeding. Syaoran came running to Meiling when he heard her shout.

“What now?” he asked when he saw Meiling saw.

“I did not mean to kill her with the rock I threw! I was aiming at the bird on the tree!”

Syaoran checked the girl’s pulse and heaved a sigh of relieve, it was still there and beating steadily. “She is alive. You are not a murderer.”

He gently shook the girl and heard her groaned. He froze, thinking that he had somehow jarred her injury. Black eyes stared into amber eyes and the black one widened with shock and surprise. She jerked back instantly and shut her eyes against the dizziness that her movements had caused. “Who... are you?”

“Don’t move yet,” Syaoran warned. “You are still bleeding.”

The girl looked at Meiling’s pale expression and took pity on her. She tried to joke, “Do I look that bad to the two of you?”

Syaoran did nothing but forced the girl from standing up. “You are not ready yet. I am Li Syaoran and you are?”

“Sakura.”

“The princess?” Meiling asked curiously.

“Er... no. I am not the princess. I am... just and orphan,” Sakura lied.”

“I am sorry,” Meiling apologized.

Sakura waved a hand at her and tried to smile, “It is nothing.”

Syaoran stood up suddenly and spoke, “I think it is best that we bring Sakura to the inn to have her injuries treated. Agree?”

“Agreed,” Meiling said, beaming at her new companion.


Postscript

This is the end of the chapter. What will happen in the inn with...

Close Window