Disclaimer

CCS does not belong to me in anyway. I’m just using the characters in my story.


CCS: Another Story

Chapter 2

by Sakura aka Michelle

Sakura felt utterly alone.

She did not know how, but somehow she felt that she was all alone in this strange and unfamiliar surrounding. Where am I? Sakura thought uneasily, darting anxious glances around her. There was not a single soul in sight in what seemed to be a garden, albeit a dimly lit one.

Sakura took in a deep breath in an attempt to summon up all the courage she had stored within her and made a decision to explore around instead of standing still in her current location and continued to waste her precious time by doing so. The next thing that she should do was to determine which direction she should head to for she was standing on a grass patch, surrounded by trees and there was a footpath ahead but the path was split into two directions making it a difficult decision for Sakura to make. Where do the two paths lead to? Why aren’t I afraid?

Knowing that her answers would remain unanswered, she shrugged off her questions and looked intently at the footpath. Should I go to the left or to the right? I can’t seem to choose! What should I do? Sakura frowned in concentration, looking intently at the empty blackness at the end of the two paths. She was unable to discern what lay ahead at the end of the two paths from where she was standing.

Suddenly, a sound reached her from her right. It was barely audible but she heard it anyway and she turned to look at the path leading to the right. She was sure the sound came from that direction. She was a little hesitant about taking that path as she was unaware of what might be in for her.

What if it was a werewolf? Or maybe a gh-ghost!? Why am I thinking of it as singular? It might be plural as well! Oh my, I am scaring the wits out of myself…

Sakura paused for a moment, recalling that she had similar dreams whereby she was left all alone in the darkness with no one to turn to for help. Why is it that I do not feel afraid now? She thought. Then, she heard the sound again and she jerked herself back to attention. I should go and check it out rather than wasting precious time here.

She walked down the path that led to her right and strained her ears hoping to hear the sound again in an attempt to figure out its exact location. Sakura believed that it should not be too far away from where she was. The path was never-ending and for a moment, Sakura really believed that she might have to continue walking forever before she reached the end of the road.

A single well stood proudly right at the end of the path, surrounded by a wide expense of grass patch and there was no other path that Sakura could walk. On close inspection, Sakura noticed that the well was fitted with a square roof right on top of it, which is supported by four strong red pillars with some animals engraved on the stone. Is that a phoenix? And a dragon too? Don’t tell me I am on Chinese land, for I can’t speak the language! Sakura thought nervously. She peered cautiously into the well and saw that there was clear water within it. Without thinking, she reached in and scooped up a handful of water to sip. Shivering at the iciness of the water, she let out a satisfied sigh. I didn’t realize I was thirsty! She almost jumped when she heard a loud thump behind her. She whirled around to see what was causing the loud ruckus and almost fainted at the scene before her.

Right in front of Sakura, was the biggest lion she had ever seen in her life. It let out a ferocious roar and Sakura took a step back in fright and accidentally banged against the wall of the well and lost her footing. She ended up sitting on the ground, leaning against the well for support. Wha-what is that?

The lion was on all fours on the ground, bearing its nasty fangs at her. Despite her fear, Sakura could not help but noticed that the lion had a strange metal helmet on its head and was wearing a ruby earring on its right ear.

“Little girl! How dare you barge into this holy place?” The lion roared and took a threatening step towards her.

Little girl!? He’s calling me a little girl! I am already eighteen! Wait… That lion is TALKING to me!?

The lion laughed menacingly and said, “That’s right! I am talking to you! Now, answer my question!”

“You read my mind!” Sakura shouted accusingly and then scrambled to her feet while looking around anxiously for an escape route and found none. “Who are you?”

“I am Keroberos, the legendary guardian of Clow Shrine, sworn by oath to remove all who trespass!” The lion replied. “And who might you be, trespasser of Clow Shrine?”

Sakura assumed that this area was the Clow Shrine that Keroberos had mentioned. “I am Kinomoto Sakura, third year student of Seijou High School in Tomoeda. And I just happen to pass by this place. I mean no harm at all. I don’t even carry a weapon with me. Furthermore, I don’t know why I am explaining all these to a talking lion in the first place!”

“Another little kid who thinks I am a talking monster of some sort,” Keroberos muttered under his breath. “I assure you that I am a real life being and not some toy so cease looking at me as if I am a monster.”

“I must be dreaming,” Sakura reasoned and shook her head frantically. “That’s it! I must still be dreaming? How can a lion talk?” She began giggling at the silliness of her encounter, forgetting that the lion was still right in front of her.

Keroberos groaned aloud and then his temple throbbed. Obviously, he was starting to lose his patience. He stamped his feet to shake Sakura free of her thoughts and to get her to pay attention. “Whatever it is that you are thinking, let me tell you this: you are not dreaming. This is reality.”

Sakura ignored his words and walked to stand beside Keroberos curiously. “You are not a toy?” She asked as she poked him curiously with one finger and then gasped when she felt the warmth for the body. “You are so cuddly!”

“Cud-Cuddly?” Keroberos exclaimed indignantly. “I am not some toy for humans! I am created for a purpose and that is to guard the entrance to the legendary Clow Shrine!”

“Clow Shrine?”

Keroberos started, “You mean you do not know what a Clow Shrine is?”

“I thought you can read my mind?” Sakura retorted, daring to answer him with a question instead.

“Stop patting me as if I am your pet,” Keroberos complained and moved to put some distance between them lest Sakura decided to pat him on his head again. He went still when he heard a sound from the air, which sounded like shuffling of wind and he quickly told Sakura, “You had better leave quickly.”

“Leave?” Sakura asked. “I don’t know how to get out of this place. I don’t even know how I came here.”

“You don’t know?” Keroberos asked, incredulous. “Many people have sought out Clow Shrine but never to find the entrance because this place is heavily guarded. You are telling me now that you had no idea what this place is? This is unbelievable!”

Sakura made a face. “If they can’t find this place then why is it that I am standing right in front of the entrance? I don’t even see any doors leading to other places.”

“There is no time for explanation,” Keroberos interrupted, casting an anxious look into the sky. “It is time for you to leave. Now!”

“How do I leave? I do not know how…” Sakura paused mid-sentence as she stared incredulously at the figure descending from the sky. The person had beautiful silver hair that reached down to the ankles and it was bound, though flowing gracefully in the dark sky. Two big magnificent wings were spread out from the person’s back and Sakura thought that an angel had came down from the sky. Except that this angel was glaring at her with his icy and piercing silver eyes. Sakura shuddered inwardly, overcame by an unpleasant feeling.

“Keroberos, what is she doing here?” The handsome angel asked, his gaze remaining on Sakura, who shrank unconsciously towards Keroberos. “Don’t you remember what we have to do to trespassers of Clow Shrine?”

“Wait, Yue, there is some confusion over here,” Keroberos stated honestly and took a hesitant step towards Yue. “She has no idea why she was here.”

“This is the second time a kid dared to enter Clow Shrine,” Yue said dryly. “There is a reason why we let off the last kid who barged into Clow Shrine but this girl here has no reason to be here at all!”

“Yue! She’s innocent!” Keroberos argued angrily.

“She explained and you simply believed her words?” Yue countered. “You are too naïve, Keroberos.”

“What is this about?” Sakura interrupted and was rewarded with Yue’s icy glare. She almost regretted asking that question. “I honestly did not know how I came here or why I was here! You have got to believe me!”

Yue remained silent and for one moment, Sakura thought he did not hear her. Then, his next words sent chills down her spine. “All trespassers must die.”

Sakura took a stepped backward in fright, her eyes were now the size of a saucer. “Die? Did you just say die?” Sakura asked, her heartbeat accelerated with fright. Somehow, she knew that Yue meant what he had said.

“We have to investigate this first, Yue,” Keroberos warned. “We just have to make sure that she has no ulterior motives. Moreover, she has made no moves to enter into the Clow Shrine and to attack either one of us.”

“We cannot trust humans,” Yue started and spread his wings and took flight into the air once more. A blue sword made of ice materialized in his outstretched hand, glowing dimly with a blue ray of light. Sakura, upon realizing Yue’s intent, broke into a run, trying to get back to the place when she woke up to and not daring to take a peek backwards.

She knew Yue was giving chase behind her and Keroberos’s shouts could be heard albeit vaguely. All Sakura could hear right now was the loud thump of her heartbeat and the strong wind blowing against her and she dashed through the garden. Suddenly, she tripped on a large piece of rock that protruded from the ground and fell heavily to the ground. The wind was knocked out of her and she was stunned. Sakura did not have a second to waste; she hurriedly pushed herself upright, only to feel that her right ankle had failed her. Panting heavily, Sakura turned around, sitting on the ground. That was when she felt a searing pain on left arm and she fell back onto the ground from the impact. Yue had successfully pinned her down onto the ground with his mysterious sword and was holding Sakura on the ground.

Sakura cried out in pain and tried unsuccessfully to shake Yue off her body but he was a heavy weight on her and he had a vice grip on her neck, making it impossible for her to breathe. I’m going to die! Sakura thought and panicked when her vision started to blur. I am really going to die!

Almost instantly, Yue disappeared from Sakura’s line of vision; Keroberos had used his body to knock Yue off her. Sakura gasped and then choked as she gulped in fresh air into her deprived lungs. The pain in her arm was still there, throbbing insistently.

“What is the meaning of this?” Yue demanded angrily as he stood up, turning all his wrath onto his partner. “Have you forgotten our duty?”

“No, I have not forgotten,” Keroberos replied solemnly. “However, I firmly believed that we should spare innocent lives. It is pointless to harm those without the intent to break into Clow Shrine.”

Yue looked over at Sakura, who was still lying on the ground but was trying to pull the sword out from her arm. The sword had pierced through her flesh and driven deep into the ground. It was impossible for her to wrench the sword out in her current condition. Tears poured from her eyes, from both the blinding pain and the terror she had suffered. She stiffened when she spotted Yue approaching her and watched him warily, thinking that he might somehow harm her again.

Sakura shifted her position uncomfortably and groaned when her action brought a surge of pain to her arm. She stilled immediately, sweating from all her effort and biting her lips to keep herself from screaming out in pain. That was when Yue noticed that she was wearing a necklace. He bent down on one knee and took the necklace into his palm to examine it carefully. His eyes widened immediately upon recognizing the pendant. “Where did you get this?” He asked gruffly. When she did not answer immediately, Yue repeated his question, almost shouting this time round.

“My mother gave it to me,” Sakura managed to croak out her answer, her mind was still reeling with pain. This is definitely not a dream! My arm hurts!

“Keroberos, come take a look at this.”

“Yes I saw,” came the answer. “That’s what I told you to remain calm and investigate further before we come to a conclusion. Didn’t I? You are always this impulsive, Yue. Can you release Sakura before she bleeds to death and spare her the unnecessary pain?”

The sword that was impaled in her arm disappeared instantly. Sakura clutched her wound and struggled to sit up as she scooted away from Yue. She was terrified of him. She squeezed her eyes shut and averted her face when she saw that he was reaching for her. What does he wants? Sakura thought nervously as she awaited some sort of blows from Yue but nothing came. Curiously, Sakura peeled open one eye to look at him. To her shock, he was holding her right palm a few inches from her wound. His hand glowed in the dark. A soothing warmth spread instantly from her wound and she felt relaxed. The pain had lessened tremendously, much to Sakura’s astonishment. Is he using some kind of sorcery?

“I realized that I have made a mistake,” Yue broke the thick silence between them. “I apologize.”

Sakura squirmed, unsure of what was happening now. She was also confused: one moment Yue was looking at her with hatred as if she was his enemy and the next instant he was apologizing to her. What is going on?

“The wound is pretty deep,” Keroberos remarked from the side. “It would take some time for it to recover completely, Sakura. I’m afraid that it would leave a scar.”

“Aren’t I dreaming?” Sakura asked cautiously, afraid that the wrong choice of words might lead to another hole in her good arm. “I mean… I was actually sleeping before I came here.”

Keroberos nodded in understanding. “Your necklace is the answer to all your questions.”

“My necklace?” Sakura repeated. “What’s wrong with my necklace?”

“It holds a vast amount of power,” Keroberos explained further. “It is the key.”

“Syaoran said the same thing too!” Sakura exclaimed suddenly, trying to fit the pieces of information together. “He said that the key holds information of where the Clow book could be found!”

Both Keroberos and Yue were startled at the mention of Syaoran’s name. They looked at each other before turning to stare at Sakura. “Syaoran… Syaoran as in Li Syaoran?” Keroberos asked.

Sakura nodded her head. “You have heard of him?”

Keroberos started pacing, deep in his own train of thoughts. Sakura wondered what had him pondering like this. Keroberos frowned and stopped a few moments later, looking at Sakura with a weird expression on his face. “What’s wrong?” Sakura asked.

“If you have met that brat, it means that something bad is beginning to start,” Keroberos replied seriously. “Something really bad.”

Sakura’s eyes widened and she was filled with dread. “That means what they were saying about the dark lord is true! Well, assuming that this is not a dream that is.”

“I should have guessed it,” Yue said dryly. “That dark lord is always up to no good.”

“I get it that he is still trying to get his hands on the Clow book,” Keroberos commented. “But first, he’ll need to grab hold of the Chosen One in order to pry the location of Clow Shrine.”

“I don’t get it,” Sakura interrupted. “What has it got to do with me?”

Keroberos laughed, “It has everything to do with you, Sakura. For you are the Chosen One, holder of the key to Clow Shrine, the holding place for the legendary Clow Book that the dark lord seeks still.”

“It is also our duty to prepare the Chosen One for the battle ahead,” Yue added and pulled Sakura upright into a standing position.

“Prepare me for battle?” Sakura asked breathlessly. “This is impossible! I’m not in for any fights!”

Keroberos and Yue looked at each other again and seemed to have communicated silently for a few moments before they nodded their head in some sort of agreement, all the while Sakura silently watching the exchange.

“Please take some time to think through what we have said and prepare yourself. The next time we meet, it shall be when we will start your training,” Keroberos said.

“Training? But…”

Yue cut her off. “We’ll send you back now.”

“Wait! I haven’t finishing saying!” She stiffened when she felt a wave of dizziness swept through her and she swayed dangerously. She felt herself falling down and she squeezed her eyes shut in preparation of the impact. However, nothing happened.

Sakura opened one eye testily and gasped in pure surprise when she saw ceiling. Sunlight was pouring in from the small window on the wall beside her and she squinted against it. For one moment, she was disorientated. Where am I now? She thought as she looked around and heaved a sigh of relief when she recognized where she was. I’m back in my own room! I’m back! She almost cheered out loudly but she remembered that Meiling was sleeping on the ground beside her bed so she clamped her lips to refrain from shouting out with glee. But wait… Was I just dreaming or did it actually happen?

She sighed and sat up on her bed, pushing her blanket away from her and stretched her arms high above her head lazily. She gasped when she felt a slight pain on a left arm. Alarmed, she pushed up the sleeve of her left arm to take a closer look. There it was, a diamond shape scar glaring back at her. Sakura looked at it disbelieving, thinking that her eyes were playing trick on her. She rubbed her eyes hastily with her right hand and then looked at her left arm again. The scar is still here! But why? Wasn’t I dreaming?

Sakura started brooding over the details of the dream, gazing at down thoughtfully. That was when she saw something that shocked her beyond words. She was speechless… Totally speechless. She let out a piercing scream and pushed the blanket away from her frantically, scooting backwards in her bed, trembling like a leaf that was caught in a strong wind.

A big portion of her white blanket had turned crimson red and Sakura suspected that it was blood—her own blood.

To be continued...



Close Window