Authors Note (A/N): Same as last time! Go read the other stories if you don’t have it memorized by now!

Previously

Li, Tomoyo, and Meiling get a history lesson from Sigma, learning about the War of the Eighth Power Sphere which began about 15 years ago. Sakura meets the Sphienent again, who speaks of orders from his master. The ring Shadow gave Sakura suddenly starts glowing, and the Sphienent runs. Tomoyo decides to ask Sigma some questions over the War.

The Seven Realms

Chapter 7: Thwarted Attempts

by Shadowpheonix


Tomoyo walked down the stairs towards the dining room. She found a servant and asked politely for directions to Sigma’s bedchambers.

“Yes, I can take you to him, my Lady,” the servant said.

“Thank you,” Tomoyo replied.

They walked up a few flights of stairs and approached a set of large, golden double-doors. “My Lord Sigma! One of your guests would like to speak with you!” the servant hollered as he knocked on the door.

“Come in,” Sigma said from the other side.

“Thank you,” Tomoyo said to the servant as he bowed to her and left.

“Tomoyo! What a pleasant surprise! How are you?” Sigma asked as he escorted Tomoyo into the room.

“I’m fine. I’m not bothering you, am I?” Tomoyo asked.

“No, of course not. What can I do for you?”

“What would happen if someone had one of the Anti-rings? Someone other than one of the rulers, I mean.”

“Well, the person would be able to use some of the ring’s power, but that’s all. Why do you ask?”

“It’s nothing, really. I’m just a bit curious. Would the Anti-ring cause any harm to the person?”

“Wait. Do you know someone that has an Anti-ring?”

“No.”

“Then why do you care?” Sigma asked, staring at Tomoyo.

“I just want to know. Can you tell me? Please?”

“No, the Anti-ring can’t cause any harm to anyone, but there are creatures that are drawn to its power. Those creatures might harm whoever’s holding the Anti-ring. Another thing: since we haven’t found the person who summoned the Spirits, he, she, or it, could be after the Anti-rings. The Rings, however, can hurt people. Like I said before, they’re able to use some of the energy from the Spheres. Now, I’ve told you what you want to know. Tell me why you want to know,” Sigma demanded.

“I just need to know. Where – “

“Tell me why. People don’t just ask these types of questions without a reason. Let me know. Do you have an Anti-ring?” Sigma demanded.

“Fine, I’ll tell you. I had a dream before we all traveled to the Realms. It involved a half-gold, half-silver ring. No one had it, and it was pretty big. The dream occurred after Sakura was taken away and she was in it too. That’s the only reason I want to know.”

“So, you’re wondering why you had a dream about one of the Rings. It wasn’t an Anti-ring. Those don’t get big.”

“Is there anything else you can tell me about the war? You really don’t know who summoned the Spirits?”

“I have no clue. The only idea we had was from Matriana, the ruler of the Water Realm. She thought that whoever summoned the Spirits wouldn’t be in any of the Seven Realms, but instead, in a special Realm. There are some books about a Realm that’s just beyond our reach, A Realm that takes an extremely large amount of power to get to. She thought that, perhaps, this supposed mythological Realm would be where the Summoner of the Spirits is. Do you understand?” Sigma asked as he saw Tomoyo’s blank stare.

“Yes, I do, but… how do you know this Realm even exists?” Tomoyo said.

“Well, she believed that the since the Spirits could only be created with the Golden Power Sphere’s energy, and that was supposedly mythological as well, that whoever wielded the Power from that Sphere must also be somewhere in the myths. Basically, she thought that since the person used a mythological power source, that he must also be on the same level. He has to be strong and knowledgeable enough to be able to use this Sphere.”

“But you have absolutely no idea who this person or thing is?” Tomoyo asked. “Could this person have been the one that captured Sakura?”

“I don’t think that someone with that much power would waste his time capturing a little girl. No offense to you or Sakura, but I don’t see any reason to take her. Unless she had one of the Anti-rings and the Summoner of the Spirits wanted his Spirits back. But, you already said she doesn’t have one that you know of.” Sigma gave Tomoyo a searching glance and returned to staring at the dimming Realm outside his window. “Why do you think the Summoner took her?”

“I don’t know. It’s just a feeling I get from the dream. In my dream, there was a person with dark, black hair and almost black eyes. Maybe that’s the Summoner that we keep referring to. He had Sakura in a cage and…” Tomoyo stopped, again unable to utter the words.

“You just described that kid Shadow that says he rules the Dark Realm. Maybe I should go with you. I’d like to meet this kid,” Sigma said to himself. “Would you mind if I accompanied you? This way, I’m sure you and your friend Meiling could go with Li and not be hurt.”

“Ummm… I’ll have to ask Li about it. He’s really… kinda the leader of our journey. And, I think, out of the three of us, he cares the most for Sakura. I don’t know if he’d want you along,” Tomoyo admitted.

“Oh? And why’s that? I know it won’t be because he’s afraid of me. He doesn’t like me very much, does he?” Sigma asked.

“Ummm… no, not really. He’s… still a little mad at you… for…”

“You go talk to him. Let me know what he says. If the three of you want me along, I’ll come with you. I can leave the matters of this Realm to my servants for a while. Go. Ask him and tell me what he says,” Sigma said as he ushered Tomoyo out of his room.

“Ok. I’ll be back with an answer from him.” Tomoyo walked down the stairs and found her way back to her room. Well, that went rather well. I hope Li lets him come with us. He could be a big help… or… Tomoyo knocked on the door and walked in.

“What happened? What did you find out?” Li asked as soon as she walked in.

Tomoyo told him everything she learned. “Li, he offered to help us. He said he’d come with us if we all agreed to it. I know Meiling won’t mind, but I decided to ask you first. I’m supposed to get an answer from you and go back and tell him what you said.” Tomoyo said after her story. “So?”

“I… Give me some time to think about it. I’ll let him know tomorrow, at lunch.” Li said as he walked back into Meiling’s room.

I’d better leave him alone. He looks pretty mad… Tomoyo thought as she walked towards the door. Well, back to Sigma’s room.

Tomoyo walked out the door, staring at the colorful sky as night fell on the Realm, and began to find her way to Sigma’s room. I wonder if he’s going to give us dinner. It’s about seven now. I’m a little hungry, she thought. Suddenly, the castle shook with a deep rumble and Tomoyo lost her balance. What’s that? Another tremor shook the castle and knocked Tomoyo off her feet as a shrill screech filled Tomoyo’s ears. What’s going on?

“What’s happening? Who sounded the alarm? Tomoyo? Are you alright?” Sigma asked as he came down the stairs.

“Lord Sigma, sir! We’re under attack!” a servant informed Sigma in a panicked voice.

“What? Attacked? By whom?” Sigma yelled. “Tomoyo, go back to your room. You’ll be safer there. Here. I’ll take you.”

“Thank you,” Tomoyo said, when another tremor shook the castle and a beam fell from above Tomoyo and Sigma. “Aaaahh! Look out!” Tomoyo screamed as the wooden beam nearly hit her.

Sigma reached out his hand towards the beam and Tomoyo felt a tickling sensation in the back of her mind as he did so. Suddenly, pillars of earth rose up between Sigma and Tomoyo to meet the wooden beam, smashing it to pieces. “Come on!”

“Wait! I’m coming!” Tomoyo cried and ran after Sigma.

“Here! Take my hand!” Sigma said as he grabbed Tomoyo’s arm, pulling her faster than she could run. A round portion of earth broke off where Sigma was standing with Tomoyo. It floated through the air, carrying both Tomoyo and Sigma up the staircase.

“What are you doing?” Tomoyo asked when she realized she was being lifted through the air by an inch think piece of floating earth, about one and a half meters in diameter.

“I’m the ruler of the Earth Realm, remember? I can do things with the Earth Sphere and cause rock and so on to move. Are you ok?”

“I’m fine. Thank you. What’s going on? And what’s that annoying screeching noise?” Tomoyo asked, covering her ears a little.

“That’s the alarm. It hasn’t been used in a while and should probably be fixed. Needs oil. It’s not supposed to sound like that,” Sigma said. “Here’s your room. I’ll be downstairs if you need me. Let’s see what this attack is all about!”

“Thank you!” Tomoyo cried after Sigma as he left. Tomoyo opened the double doors to her room and stepped inside to find Li battling a large falcon-like creature with black feathers, beak, and talons, standing on the window sill. “Li! What’s going on?”

“Talk later! Get Meiling out of here!” he cried as he barely dodged a swipe from the creature’s talons. “Go!”

What’s going on here? Where is Meiling? I hope she’s ok! Tomoyo ran into Meiling’s room and found her half-awake, stumbling to get out the door. “Meiling!” Tomoyo cried as she ran towards her.

“Tomoyo?” Meiling said with a yawn. “What’s going on? What’s that annoying screech?”

Tomoyo grabbed Meiling and put herself under one of Meiling’s arms. “The castle seems to be under attack and Li is fighting a gigantic, black-feathered falcon! He told me to get you somewhere safe. Can you make it?”

“I’ll manage. Where are you going to take me?” Meiling asked, still half-asleep.

I’m glad she didn’t ask about Li, but when she sees that creature… “I don’t know yet. I’m just going to get you out of here,” Tomoyo said. She took a step forward and half carried Meiling to the door.

“What is THAT?” Meiling asked. “Li! Watch out!”

“Run! Go! Find help!” Li said as he swung his sword at the creature’s beak. The sword hit the beak and made a sound like metal on metal. A bone-piercing screech pierced the room. “Go!”

“I won’t leave! Not with you fighting that thing!” Meiling said and struggled away from Tomoyo, falling to the ground.

“Meiling! You can’t do anything staying here! Li can handle it! We have to go!” Tomoyo said as she tried to help Meiling up.

“No! I’m not leaving without Li!”

“Meiling! Go! You can’t help me here! Go get help!” Li said, getting out his fire incantation.

“Come on! Let’s go!” Tomoyo shouted and grabbed Meiling’s arm. Meiling didn’t struggle this time.

“Fine. I’ll go,” she said. Tomoyo helped her up and walked her out the door. “Where are we going?”

“I’m going to find Sigma. He’s the only one that can help right now. You’re going to sit somewhere safe. Li wouldn’t want you to get hurt.”

“I’m coming with you! Li wouldn’t want you hurt either!” Meiling said determinedly.

“But Meiling, what about your leg?”

“I’ll manage. You’re not leaving me behind! I’m not going to just sit around!”

Tomoyo smiled at Meiling and carried her down the stairs. “Ok. Let’s find Sigma. Together.”


Who could possibly be attacking me? None of the other rulers would want to do something like this. Unless it’s that Shadow kid. I still don’t know anything about him! “Let’s go! Those of you who can use any power from our Sphere, come with me! We’ll see what’s going on!” still “Let’s go! Those of you who can use any power from our Sphere, come with me! We’ll see what’s going on!”

Sigma stalked through his castle, angry at whoever was attacking him. He walked to the main doors and went outside into the dark night. What?

Creatures were everywhere. Those are Fire creatures! And those… they’re Water! Wind and Thunder creatures as well? What’s going on? Sigma pulled at the energy that ran through the Realm. He directed a large amount at the earth under the ground creatures. The ground shook and almost all the creatures on the ground fell in the newly formed crevice. Earth creatures are attacking me too? Sigma wondered as he saw creatures forming out of the ground. I have to do something!

Suddenly, the creatures all stopped moving. The flying creatures landed and bowed awkwardly, and the ground creatures knelt where they stood. Clouds appeared in the sky and swirled around a single, dark spot. Slowly, a person clad in black armor descended into the Realm and spoke with a commanding voice. “Give them to me! There’s no use protecting them!”

“Who are you and what do you want?” Sigma yelled back.

“I’ve come for the three travelers that you have given shelter to. Give them to me now or I will unleash all my creatures and tear down your Realm until I have them!” An eerie glow surrounded the person and balls of multicolored energy appeared in his hands. Just then, Tomoyo came out of the castle with Meiling.

“Sigma! There’s a large creature in…”

“You two! You are mine!” the person shouted as he flew towards them.

“Leave them alone!” Sigma yelled as he unleashed a bolt of energy at the ground in front of him. A large barrier made of pure gold came out of the ground and surrounded his castle.

“Sigma! What’s happening?” Tomoyo asked.

“I don’t know, but I don’t intend to let him have his way!” Sigma invoked the power of his Anti-ring and used it along with his innate powers as ruler. “You will fall before me! You and your creatures!” Sigma yelled as he unleashed a torrent of energy. The energy flowed through him, into the earth, creating a large tidal wave of earth.

The wave rushed towards the creatures, wiping them out. The only living things remaining within a five mile radius were those inside Sigma’s castle and the one person, clad in his dark armor, hovering above the castle.

“Tell me your name! Your creatures are gone!” Sigma said as the person drifted, unfazed, through the rubble.

“I will not. We will meet again! Protect them while you can, Lord Sigma!” he said mockingly as he ascended into the swirling clouds and disappeared.

“Come back here! I’m not done with you!” Sigma cried after the dispersing clouds in the dark sky.

“Sigma! Li might be hurt! He was fighting a gigantic, falcon creature in our room! We came to get help! Come with us!” Meiling cried as she attempted to grab Sigma’s coat sleeve.

“Alright,” Sigma said, following Tomoyo and Meiling. “I’ll find out who you are. And when I do, I will make you regret the day your mother ever laid eyes on her husband!”


Sakura made sure all her supplies were well packed. I’ve gotta find them and keep them out of danger. Sakura had used the Little Card to shrink all her supplies and put them in a pouch she created with Create. Good. Everything’s here. I hope this works!

“Time!” she shouted. The world was covered with a sickly yellow as time slowed to a stop. I better get going. “Fly! Through!” she yelled, using both cards at once. I wish I could light the place!

Sakura flew through the Realm, looking for some clue of Li’s whereabouts. She could barely make out the ground beneath her as she flew close to it. Suddenly, a dark shape appeared in front of her. “Aaahh!” she gasped as she looked around to find the creature. “Fiery!” she yelled. Why was that thing moving? She wondered, as Fiery created a large circle of light around itself. Where did it go?

Sakura decided to ignore it and continued on her previous course. There has to be a way out of here! “Aaahh!” she screamed as another shadowy blur flew past in front of her. How are these things moving? I’ve used Time already! They should be frozen! Sakura looked around warily. Someone must be behind this!

Suddenly, Time’s effect vanished and the Time Card floated down to her hand. “What’s going on?” she whispered to herself. She landed on the ground and wondered if this was Shadow’s doing. Why can’t he just let me go?

All of a sudden, Sakura heard a low growl from behind her. She turned around to see a small boar-like creature staring at her through two tiny black beads. Oh no! she thought as she turned around and ran. “Dash!” she yelled, invoking the powers of the Dash Card, causing her to speed up immensely. Why do creatures keep attacking me?

Sakura slowed to a stop and sat down. Seconds later, the boar-like creature appeared in front of her. It can’t be! I must have run a mile! How did it get in front of me? Sakura turned around and found another boar creature behind her. Where are these things coming from?

The two boars charged towards Sakura. “Jump!” she cried and shot straight up. “Shot!” she cried. Shot emerged from its card and hurled a ball of pure energy at each of the boars, knocking them unconscious. Now that that’s over with, I can find my way out of here. Sakura landed next to the two unconscious boars and walked away from them.

I wonder where those things came from… Sakura wondered after a few minutes. Several minutes later, she saw two dark shapes in front of her. As she approached the two shapes she realized what they were. But… I’ve been walking in a straight line! How can I be back here? Sakura sat down next to the creatures and closed her eyes, feeling for magical energies. It feels like a Clow Card again! Shadow must have found me! This has to be… the Loop Card! No!

“So, you’ve finally figured it out,” Shadow said as he descended. “It was pretty funny. You’ve been going through this loop for a while.”

“Let me go! Leave me alone!” Sakura screamed as she turned and ran from Shadow.

“Stop right there,” Shadow said. “I’ll give you a fair fight. I’ll let you attack how you want, and I’ll just fight back. I won’t stop you from using any cards. You just have to try to hit me with them.

“Freeze!” she shouted. “Leave me alone!”

“Nice try. It will take more than that,” Shadow said as he walked towards Sakura. “Don’t you have any stronger Cards?”

“Get away from me! Time!” she said, attempting to escape. All of time froze and Sakura walked away from Shadow.

“Time doesn’t affect me. Nice try, again. Are you going to do anything else? Or just run now?”

“Mist! Maze! Illusion!” Sakura yelled, using all three cards at once. “Leave me alone!”

The three cards took effect and created a large, misty maze. “Sakura, you should know better than this,” Shadow said as he hovered above the maze. “You can’t hide from me, but you can try to attack. What do you have to lose?”

Sakura ignored Shadow’s words and ran as fast as she could away from him.

“I guess this means you’re just going to run. I’ll give you one last chance. If you don’t attack, I will.” Shadow descended in front of Sakura, blocking her way. “Last chance.”

“Why won’t you leave me alone? I haven’t done anything! Just let me go!” Sakura said as she ran past Shadow.

“If that’s your decision, then it can’t be helped. I’ll just have to teach you the hard way. Dark,” Shadow said a little louder than usual.

The world dimmed and Sakura was enveloped in darkness. “Leave me alone!” she yelled as she ran through it.

“Wood,” Shadow said. Long, green vines became visible and propelled themselves towards Sakura.

“Fiery!” Sakura yelled. The Fiery Card floated in the air for a few seconds before descending to her hands. Half a second later, Wood’s vines reached Sakura’s arms. They bound her and lifted her up to Shadow as the darkness disappeared and a gray-and-black card drifted to Shadow’s hand. “I thought you said you didn’t have Clow Cards!”

“I don’t. Do these look like Clow Cards to you?” Shadow asked as he showed her Dark.

“But they look just like them! They even do the same thing! Where did you get them?”

“Why did you try to escape? I’m pretty sure that was one of the things I told you not to do. Why did you try?”

“I heard what Sigma said about having Li and the rest of my friends. I want to save them! Let me go!”

“Ok,” Shadow said. Wood released its hold on Sakura who fell ten feet to the ground.

“Aaahh!” she screamed as she hit the ground.

“How’s that? Now are you going to keep running? You know I can catch you again.”

“Why won’t you let me leave?” Sakura asked as tears came to her eyes. “Why can’t you just let me find Li?”

“How do you intend to do that? Do you have any clue how to access the Portals? Do you know the incantations?”

“No, but I could have figured out a way. Just let me go!”

“And if I choose not to? I gave you the chance to fight me and you failed. What are you going to do now? If you give up now, I won’t be too mad and you won’t be punished as much. Your choice,” Shadow said as he extended his arm for Sakura.

“Why do you want me back? Give me one good reason why I should go with you!” Sakura demanded of Shadow as tears welled up in her eyes.

“Because if you don’t choose to go back, I’ll drag you back and make you pay for it. If that’s not good enough, then I guess I’ll have to drag you back.”

“Fine! I’ll go back with you. On one condition: you have to give me the incantations to the where Li is and let me go tomorrow.”

“You’re in no position to make demands. Let’s try this again. Will you come back with me or do I have to drag, and I mean drag, you?”

Sakura got up and started towards Shadow when a large winged creature gave a bone-piercing screech from above them. The creature swooped down towards Sakura and grabbed her wrists with its talons, digging into her flesh. “Aaaaahhh!” Sakura cried as she was lifted by one hand to the sky.

Shadow floated next to the creature. “Tell your master to leave her alone. He’s not going to get what he wants. Time!” Shadow said loudly.

The creature froze in midair with Sakura hanging from its talons. Shadow glided towards the creature’s talons and ripped them open, freeing Sakura. “Let’s go,” he said as he put Sakura back on the ground.

Sakura grabbed her wounded wrist as soon as Shadow let go of her arm. Silently, she followed Shadow back to the castle.

“Are you ok?” Shadow asked as he led her back to her room, Time’s effect suddenly disappearing.

“Why do you suddenly care?” Sakura barked as she sat down on her bed.

“I’ve always cared. Always. Let me see your wrist,” Shadow said in a soft voice.

Reluctantly, Sakura gave Shadow her hand. “What are you going to do?”

“Just relax. You’ll be fine,” Shadow said as an aura surrounded him.

“Wha…” Sakura stopped in mid-sentence as she felt like her hand was dipped in ice water. A few seconds later it warmed up and the wound was gone. “What did you do?” Sakura asked, astonished.

Shadow smiled at her. “I’ve always cared.”

“Thanks,” Sakura said as she collapsed from using so many Cards.

“Anything I can get you before you fall asleep?”

“No, thanks. Why are you being so nice all of a sudden?” Sakura asked.

“I’ve always cared. If you don’t need anything, I’ll leave you to your sleep. Good night,” Shadow said as he started to leave.

“Shadow,” Sakura called after him. “Stay for a bit. Please?”

“Sure. I’ve got nothing important to do. What’s on your mind?” Shadow asked as he sat down at the foot of Sakura’s bed.

“Shadow, what was that?” Sakura asked with a yawn.

“It was a Dragharbtek. It’s a very strong creature of Dark energy. Why do you ask? Other than your omnipresent curiosity, of course.”

“You said something about its master when it grabbed me. Who is he? What does he want with me?”

“I’ll tell you at some point, Sakura. I don’t want to let you know just yet. Don’t worry about it.”

“But Shadow, I’m scared. Is the Sphienent under his control too? Earlier today, when that ring you gave me scared it off, the Sphienent sad it had its orders to capture me. Please let me know what this guy wants. I have to know,” Sakura pleaded.

“Fine. I’ll tell you about him. His name is Altarrin. I’m not one hundred percent sure why he wants you, but I don’t intend to let him get you. He won’t be as nice as I am when he gets his hands on you.”

“What’s so important about me? Why do you want me?” Sakura asked.

“I’m still not going to tell you. We’ve been over this before. You’ll have to figure out what I want on your own, or you can just forget about it. Anything else?”

“Where did you get those Cards you used?” Sakura asked again.

“I got half of them the same way you did. The other half I got from you,” Shadow said in an exceptionally calm voice.

“From me? What do you mean?”

“Nothing. You’ll figure it out someday. I promise,” Shadow said as he got up to leave. “Get some rest. Sleep as late as you like tomorrow. I have a feeling you’ll need your energy.”

“Good night then, Shadow.”

“Good night. Just call if you ever need anything.”

“OK,” Sakura said as she drifted into sleep.

“Sweet dreams. You’re just like her. But… you’re not her. No matter how alike you two are, you’re not her…”



To be continued...

Well, I liked this chapter. I’m not going to answer questions like “What did Shadow mean when he said ?” because that would be giving away the plot.

Things to look forward to:

Sigma used a large amount of power from the Earth Sphere to attack the guy floating in the air and his creatures. The guy, however, wasn’t even fazed. What will happen when he keeps his promise and come back? What happened to Li in his room?

Sakura tries to run away and the creature that fought Li grabs her. Shadow reveals that he has cards like Clow Cards, but different somehow. Where did he get them? How could he have gotten them from Sakura? “You’re just like her.” Who’s her?

Email me questions if you’d like. I’ll answer them if they don’t spoil anything.

Challenge to the readers: Here is a challenge for all you mystery, scooby-doo fans. What's up with Shadow? Why does he claim to care so much about Sakura, but show it in such an odd way? What's does he really want with Sakura? Be the first to email me the correct answer to this question, and i'll postyour name at the end of the fic.


Close Window